The Spencer's

A place to keep up to date with what is going on with the new Spencer family

My Photo
Name:
Location: Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada

We would really appreciate anyone visiting our site to leave a comment. It is nice to keep in contact with friends and family and hear what you think. Thanks:)

Monday, August 07, 2006

NEW YORK!! NEW YORK!!

Sorry this took awhile but there is more to come!


The World Trade Center Site-Ground Zero
This visit was a bit different then we thought. It was an unbelievable site on TV but when we were there, I found that I did not have the understanding of the devastation. We had never seen those building standing before so the void that was missing was visible but not completely understood. I cannot image what it would have been like on that day. Manhattan is not an easy place to get out of on a good day.




The police were every where in NY but at GZ they were we'll armed and ready!











This building near GZ is only 55 floors high. The twin towers were twice that size.( and I thought that building was huge before the tour guide gave the comparison).

The photo next to it is a picture of St.Paul's chapel directly across from the WTC. It was built in 1766 and was the church George Washington attended and was blessed there after his Inauguration in 1789. This was a sanctuary for those involved with the relief aid after 9/11. This was an unplanned visit that brought me to tears. The display around the church were incredible and gave you a snipit of the people who came in and out of those church doors and how they were used for God in such a devastating time. I would recommend this visit to anyone that goes to NY. You can visit there website @ www.stpaulschapel.org



The Brooklyn Bridge

3 Comments:

Blogger Bryan said...

Hey Tara,
It's funny, I actually looked at your pics but got distracted before I got a chance to comment. You know, work getting in the way of what's important and all that. ;-)

Your pics brought back lots of memories. I was actually in NYC a year after the attack. I saw the church you referred to and talked to some people who experienced the whole thing. I'll tell you, when I was there that time there was nothing built up around Ground Zero. They were actually still digging out. When I went by on a bus I wasn't expecting to see the site. The sheer size of the area and oddness of having such a blank area amidst the massive buildings struck me. Also, looking at the area from the Empire State Building, it's clear that there's a hole in the city. I'm looking forward to them building a new tower and memorial in it's place.

I'm glad to see you guys had a good time and got to have the NYC experience. No mention of visiting a deli or getting a meal from a street vendor, tho!

Cheers.
B

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 9:44:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Spencers...
I did the same as Bryan, and didn't comment.
Hopefully we'll see some pics in person soon, too! Our plans have changed slightly, so drop us a line!

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 12:34:00 PM  
Blogger Tara and Aaron Spencer said...

It is about time Bryan:)
We did eat at some great restaurants and cafe. Azalea's was a fabulous Italien restuarant that I would recommend. The food there was amazing and all the service was by Italien and it made it that much better. We did not go up the ESB so the view to GZ would have really shown that void. You are right about how strange it is to have such a big empty spot amongst those high buildings!

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 11:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home